Thursday 23 October 2014

Belcarra Cardigan Seams Easy?



The Belcarra Cardigan is a great project if you don't enjoy sewing because there are only two main seams.




Each seam joins the front and back sections, along the side and continuing along the sleeve.


Stitch markers join the seams and mark the corner stitches


Stitch markers are convenient tools to join the seams together before sewing.

The 'steps' of the increases are noticeable
on the sleeves.
The 'steps' of the increase/decrease rows on the sleeves are quite large.  

They were tricky to seam neatly. 

I didn't want a noticeable step effect on the inside sleeve seam so I tried to 'absorb' the sharp corners into the seam allowance.

Experimenting with green stitch markers to find a way to 'smooth out' the 'steps' during seaming.





I am frustrated with 
the result because it still looks 'steppy'
but it won't be noticeable when the cardigan is being worn.



Next time, if the steps were very tall like these, I could modify the pattern stitch so that the stitches are shorter near the 'steps' and gradually get taller along the row until they are the correct height for most of the row.  I am sure that would give a smoother edge to the seams and be easier to sew neatly.

It didn't occur to me that this would be an issue when I first read through the pattern. These are the things that experience teaches us. 

When it comes to crochet, the best way to learn is by doing. 





5 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie, of course, you are right, you learn as you go along!
    Still, it will be a fantastic cardigan!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason the 'steps' are so large is that I changed the gauge by using a thicker yarn and larger hook than the original pattern. Therefore each row is taller than it is supposed to be! Just another thing to consider when modifying pattern specifications. If the stitches were shorter it wouldn't be so noticeable.

      You are right, Ingrid. The cardigan will still fit and function well to keep me warm. Because the irregularities are on the inside seam, they will not be obvious to anyone else but those of us who go looking!

      Thanks for your regular doses of positive energy and encouragement. :-)

      Jodie xx

      Delete
  2. Ohhh! Almost done! Do we get to see you wear it? I would love to see it! ��
    Take care Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at you making progress on that cardigan!

    I agree, we kinda need a picture with you in it when it's finished ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I can take a hint! :-)
    Cardi not quite ready to wear yet - I am currently working on the ribbing - but when it is done, I will model it for you. Promise! ;-)

    ReplyDelete