|A happy teddy face.|
What a cheeky grin!
That will teach me to get distracted and procrastinate. The Teddy Blanket was not ready at all!
At that time, I had embroidered eyes and some noses. There were mouths and weaving of ends yet to go; not to mention joining the squares and adding a border.
|Every teddy has an embroidered face and flap-about ears |
as a horizontal seam is in progress.
I had also considered purchasing some fabric for a silky, smooth lining on the back to give baby another type of tactile stimulation. It would also hide any unsightly embroidery ends on the reverse side and, now that I needed to work quickly, that was a very attractive proposition.
In previous versions of this pattern, I was able to embroider through the crocheted stitches without having any major threads visible on the back but that takes extra time and consideration–time that I don't have right now.
You might think a backing would take extra time too … well … yes … but I can work quickly with an iron and a sewing machine.
|A closer look at the whip-stitched ears, embroidered faces and|
double crocheted seams.
(Australian / UK terms)
Embroidery doesn't come easily to me. My fingers become clumsy with a needle, even a large yarn needle. It makes for slow going but it also gives me time to think.
After weeks of deliberating on whether to add a wider border to the blanket, I have decided 'yes'.
It will be in yellow, the reasons outlined in "Blocking for The Edge" but that presents a new challenges in colour management and to find a suitable border pattern.
I prefer to have white separating the yellow border from the blue edges but there won't be enough white yarn. The slow process of embroidering enabled me to think of new design solutions for both the colour problem and choice of border.
I've decided to use white ribbon to 'freshen' the transition from blue to yellow. That decision has narrowed my choice of border to designs that include filet crochet where a ribbon can be nicely woven through the stitches. I still haven't finalised the border design, but now I have a starting point for the initial row(s).
It is such a good feeling to have come to these conclusions so, just like the teddies, I can also 'put on a happy face'!
It won't be long now until baby arrives!
Related Posts on Lupey Loops
"Stashbusting to a Deadline", 21 February 2017: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/stashbusting-to-deadline.html
Includes details of the "Bear Necessity" pattern.
"Yarn Chicken", 24 February 2017: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/yarn-chicken.html
Includes a quick description of intarsia technique and a detailed tutorial about the mathematics of calculating yarn amounts.
"The Inevitable Time to Unwind", 2 March 2017: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/the-inevitable-time-to-unwind.html
Discussion of design choices.
"Blocking for The Edge", 7 March 2017: https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/blocking-for-edge.html
Blocking tips for the neatest shapes and edgings.